– Announcement of “Yangjae AI Innovation District Revitalization Plan”… Korea's leading AI industry opens the era of couture
– Promotion of designation of AI-related special zones and ICT-related districts… Incentives such as floor area ratio relaxation, tax benefits, etc.
– Establishing public anchor facilities such as AI R&D campus and AI support center to create a convergence ecosystem between industry, academia, and research institutes
– Supply 300 public housing units so that AI specialists can live and work by improving the living environment
□ The Seoul Metropolitan Government will establish the Yangjae area as a global innovation base for the artificial intelligence (AI) industry, which is the foundation of the 4th industrial revolution. As the site of the 'grain wholesale market', which has not been progressed in the meantime, has been relocated (property exchange procedure with the Nonghyup was completed on December 21.12.15, XNUMX), the plan is to speed up the creation of an AI industry, academia, and research ecosystem, including the construction of public anchor facilities. .
□ A public anchor facility was built in this area, which is an important transportation hub for all directions, research centers of large corporations such as Samsung, Hyundai, LG, and KT, as well as 280 research institutes attached to small and medium enterprises, The goal is to usher in an era of industry, dressmaking.
□ Following the opening of 'AI Yangjae Hub', an AI technology startup nurturing institution in 17, the 'KAIST AI Graduate School' for nurturing AI specialists and 'AI Support Center' for nurturing start-ups will be built in '23. In '27, the 'AI R&D Campus', the core of public anchor facilities, will be opened on the site before the grain wholesale market. Here, 540 AI companies will move in at the same time, and university research institutes and government-funded research institutes will be integrated. 300 public housing units will also be supplied, creating an environment where AI experts can live and work.
○ 'AI Yangjae Hub' (formerly Yangjae R&CD Innovation Hub) is a specialized support organization for nurturing AI startups established for the first time in the country in 17 to develop Yangjae as the center of the artificial intelligence industry by the Seoul Metropolitan Government. leased and operated. A total of 3 companies moved in between '18 and '21. Despite the corona crisis, the resident companies achieved 137 new jobs, 685 billion won in sales, and 1,735 billion won in investment.
□ In particular, the city of Seoul is also promoting the designation of 'regional specialized development zones' and 'specific development promotion zones' for the Yangjae area so that competitive companies, research institutes, and talented people can gather. When designated as a special zone, when expanding AI and R&D facilities, the floor area ratio is relaxed, and when designated as a district, incentives such as tax benefits can be received.
□ The Seoul Metropolitan Government announced the “Yangjae AI Innovation District Revitalization Plan,” an action plan to foster the AI industry in the Yangjae area.
□ The main contents of this revitalization plan are: ① Revitalization of the AI industry through designation of special districts and districts ② Creation of an AI industry ecosystem through the establishment of infrastructure such as public anchor facilities ③ Reinforcement of efficiency in direct residence of research institutes and companies by improving the residential environment.
□ First, by promoting the designation of 'regional specialized development zones' and 'specific development promotion zones' for the Yangjae area, it will lay the foundation for an innovation base to revitalize the AI industry.
□ First, the Yangjae-Umyeon-dong area (4 million m286), which has a high density of companies related to the 17th industry such as AI and big data, will be re-designated as an AI-related 'regional specialized development zone'. The city supplemented the reason for the delay in 2, excluding the area in Yangjae 4-dong, where residential areas are distributed, and reduced the target area to Yangjae and Umyeon-dong, where the concentration of companies related to the XNUMXth industry, such as AI and big data, is high. plan to increase your chances.
○ After announcing the 'Yangjae Tech+City Plan' in August 16, the city promoted the designation of the Yangjae Regional Specialized Development Zone in 8. did.
□ When designated as a special zone, if AI and R&D facilities are expanded or public anchor facilities are introduced, the floor area ratio and building-to-land ratio can be reduced by up to 150%, which can boost the attraction of companies and research institutes.
※ Regional Specialized Development Zone (AI)
－ Designation/application: Ministry of SMEs and Startups/Seocho-gu
－ Designation effect (Example): Expansion of AI R&D facilities through relaxation of building regulations (floor area ratio 150%), exemption from investment examination for specialized projects, priority examination of patent applications, etc.
□ The Yangjae 2-dong area (94 mXNUMX), excluded from the designation of the special zone, will be designated as a 'specific development promotion zone' based on the regional characteristics where ICT industries such as communications, machinery, and robots are concentrated. Regardless of the outcome of the 'specialized regional development zone' designated by the government, it can be promoted and designated at the Seoul Metropolitan Government level. The city plans to begin the implementation process by the end of this year. If it is designated as a district, it will be possible to induce companies through tax support such as reduction of floor area ratio and reduction of acquisition tax.
※ Specific development promotion district (ICT convergence)
－ Designation / Application: Seoul / Seocho-gu
－ Designation effect: easing of building regulations (floor area ratio 120%), tax support (acquisition tax 50%, etc.)
□ If the Yangjae-Umyeon-dong area where the AI industry is concentrated is designated as a 'Regional Specialized Development Zone' and the Yangjae 2-dong area, where the ICT industry is concentrated, is designated as a 'Specified Development Promotion District' and serves as a hinterland, human resources, technology, It is expected that these fusions will create a synergistic effect that creates new values.
□ Second, promote the construction of public anchor facilities such as the 'Yangjae AI R&D Campus' and the 'AI Support Center', which will serve as the core base of the Yangjae AI Innovation District. The goal is to make Yangjae a 'global AI innovation base' by creating an industry-university-research AI industry ecosystem where AI specialized graduate schools, research institutes, and companies can integrate and connect with each other.
□ The 'Yangjae AI R&D Campus' is the core base of the industry-university-research convergence ecosystem where domestic and foreign AI companies, AI universities, and research institutes are integrated. 'We will enter the site of 24 pyeong of the whole grain wholesale market, which is scheduled for before 1 years. It is largely composed of ▴enterprise support infrastructure ▴research/educational facilities ▴residential space.
○ Enterprise support infrastructure: A space for 540 companies including AI-related software and hardware companies, a space for start-up and incubation, a data center, and a technology verification test bed will be built. The plan is to create an optimal environment for strengthening win-win cooperation by integrating AI, R&D, global, large, and SMEs beyond AI startups. In addition, it will play a leading role in the growth and nurturing of AI companies by creating a data-friendly environment such as open source data.
○ Research/educational facilities: Build AI research complexes on campus to attract university joint research centers, government-funded research institutes, and private research institutes to nurture AI experts and strengthen research capabilities. There will also be an AI experience center and educational space for citizens.
○ Residential space: In order to create an optimal research environment and direct residence for AI company workers in Yangjae AI Innovation District, 300 households of specialized housing such as residences will be provided on campus. By concentrating not only core resources and infrastructure for AI R&D, but also facilities close to direct residence in one place, the plan is to promote the inflow of excellent manpower and create a continuous research environment to foster it as a global AI-centric city.
□ The 'AI Support Center' is a facility for KAIST AI graduate school and AI company move-in and start-up/incubation. It will open in May 108 on the site of the former quality control office annex (23 Taebong-ro, Seocho-gu). It plans to nurture 5 AI experts annually and support about 500 AI startups.
○ Fostering Professional Talents: Fostering advanced talents at the master’s and doctoral level by operating degree and non-degree training courses in the AI field, providing source technology to AI companies, joint industry-academic projects, and promoting employment linkage programs between KAIST graduates and AI companies .
○ AI Startup Support: Provides a space for technology and knowledge exchange between companies, and supports demonstration of AI technology and services linked with research results such as prototype production. It will bring about innovative growth in the AI industry by commercializing the source technology possessed by university research institutes.
□ Meanwhile, the city plans to prepare specific functions and linkages for each infrastructure such as public anchor facilities and private R&D facilities in the 'Yangjae AI Innovation District' to induce the expansion of R&D facilities when developing large-scale private sites in Yangjae in the future. The related service is scheduled to be implemented by the Seoul Research Institute in 22.
○ Through the service, the Seoul Research Institute analyzes the development trends of domestic and foreign AI industries, the effects of technological innovation on regional economic development, AI nurturing strategies in Seoul, the status of major AI clusters at home and abroad, and spatial elements necessary for nurturing the AI industry. The Yangjae AI Innovation District development roadmap and major AI resource facilities and development strategies in the innovation district will be prepared.
□ Hwang Bo-yeon, head of Seoul’s Economic Policy Office, said, “If you have drawn a sketch for the creation of an AI innovation hub, and have laid the groundwork for nurturing innovative companies and nurturing talent, over the next five years, we will build a core anchor facility for the AI industry and create a competitive industry and academia. We will focus on creating a research ecosystem,” he said, “so that Yangjae can grow into a global innovation base as well as the center of Korea’s AI industry, we support the entire industrial cycle, from nurturing AI talent to attracting competitive research institutes and corporate growth, so that Yangjae can become a ‘Seoul’ We will create a 'type AI industry ecosystem'."
Attachment: Yangjae AI Innovation District Infrastructure Status
Aerial view of AI support center and configuration of Yangjae AI R&D campus space (draft)
Yangjae AI Innovation District Infrastructure Status and Bird’s Eye View
○ Yangjae AI Innovation District
○ Relocation of the whole grain wholesale market site
○ Bird's eye view of AI support center
○ Yangjae AI R&D campus space composition (plan)